Le 16/04/2013 13:47, LM a écrit :

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > LFS itself took about 3 hours.
>
> That is very impressive.  Was experimenting with a build of just gcc
> over the weekend and that took 4 hours by itself.  Didn't try the -j
> option.  Some of the systems I've tried it on just locked up with it.

I try to maintain a list of packages who do not accept the -j option,
for jhalfs (actually, not tested for a while).
All I have is:
BLACK_LIST="attr autoconf coreutils dejagnu gettext gperf groff man-db vim"

attr and gperf are for the systemd branch. Only the tests actually need
-j1, as well as for coreutils and vim.

For the others, I have not tested for a while, but they do not take long
anyway.

All the LFS packages not listed in $BLACK_LIST build fine on linux with
-jX (X=3..15, tried quite a few distributions on virtual machines, both
32 et 64 bit, on two 64 bit hosts, one with a core i5 at 2,6 GHz, and
the other one with two quadcore CPU, Xeon E5620 at 1,6 Ghz with
hyperthreading).

FWIW, a full 7.3 build on a bi-processor Xeon E5620 (quad core) at 1,6
GHz with -j5 took ~2 h, running only the toolchain tests (chapter 6
glibc, binutils, gmp, mpfr, mpc and gcc). With -j5, gcc took 31 mn,
build, test, install.

I have almost the same timings with a core i5 at 2,6 GHz (slightly
faster actually).

Pierre