On 28/04/13 22:51, William Harrington wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2013, at 5:19 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>
>> mysql_install_db --basedir=/usr --datadir=/srv/mysql --user=mysql
>> FATAL ERROR: Could not find my-default.cnf
>
> I don't have my-default.cnf in /usr/share/mysql/support.
>
> I have my-huge.cnf, my-innodb-heavy-4G.cnf, my-large.cnf, my-medium.cnf,
> and my-small.cnf

I can see these in the 5.5.30 tarball, but there not in the 5.6.11
tarball. The only file I can see in the 5.6.11 tarball is my-default.cnf .

> When I installed 5.6.11, I used databases I had previous. Today, I
> backed them up, and created them from the book commands to see if I
> could replicate your error, but I didn't have any issues. You may want
> to double check your build commands with the book and see if any typos
> were made.

I copied and pasted into 2 separate chown environments, both with the
same result.
There is also a minor flaw in the instructions. cat > /etc/mysql/my.cnf
<< "EOF" will fail due to a non existent /etc/mysql directory.

> Sincerely,
>
> William Harrington

I'll keep Googling for the answer.

Wayne.