On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 03:06:06PM +0200, Niels Terp wrote:
> Hi Ken !
>
> Security is not my biggest concern. I have been doing this (lfs - blfs) for
> the last 4 - 5 months, mainly to learn something new, not to use the finished
> product for "anything". If I want a linux installation for "real work" I
> would just stick with my SuSE 12.3 with a updated kernel. That works fine -
> in fact I have been using it as a "template" for what I wanted to do in
> (B)LFS.

 Not a problem, I just wanted to point out the potential dangers
from running non-current.

> As I see it, my installation of XUL Runner probably has some error, so I
> think now I am going to try to install firefox 21 without XUL Runner.

 Seems like a plan, but I think you could retry the
firefox-on-xulrunner build : on modern hardware (low-end
SandyBridge, make -j4), firefox-21 took 33.555 seconds, but
xulrunner took 2922.527 seconds (both my times ignore untarring
the source).  If you have already buildt xulrunner, it should
take only a few minutes to retry firefox.  And log it
(e.g. 2>&1 | logfile) in case there *was* a build problem.
If you do that, double check that the .mozconfig _is_ pointing to
xulrunner, and that the application is browser.

> Another thing is, my installation was originally a LFS Stable 7.3, but now I
> have updated the kernel and several other things in the meantime. Would it be
> a good idea to start from (really) scratch, and install the latest SVN ?

 No.  When you have the process down to a fine art (in particular,
scripts to suit your setup), and a fast machine, rebuilding
everything isn't too bad.  Well worth doing when there is an LFS-rc,
or if you want to test LFS-svn and find out what will break in BLFS,
but not necessary on a current system.  Upgrading the kernel, and
various applications, is no reason to rebuild the whole setup.

 On a couple of my ("older, but still usable") LFS systems (I have
several on each machine) I've been rebuilding most of xorg for the
recent vulnerabilities (still one to go, by my count - I'm using a
git version at the moemtn), and I guess that people who use desktop
environments often have to rebuild all the parts for a version
upgrade.  Apart from that, on completed systems I only ever: fix
known vulnerabilities, sometimes try new releases of a few desktop
packages I care about, and very occasionally try extra packages.
After a year or 18 months, there is usually enough change to make a
new system worthwhile.

ĸen - as always, that's just my opinion