When installing pulseaudio-4.0 I tried an install with "make -j4 install".
It terminated with this error:

/usr/src/pulseaudio-4.0/src/.libs/libpulsecore-4.0.so: file not recognized:
File truncated
libtool: install: error: relink `libprotocol-simple.la' with the above
command before installing it
make[4]: *** [install-modlibexecLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

A web search suggested that the -j4 parameter might be the problem, so I
retried the install with "make install". No error. It might just be my
configuration, but I thought you should know.

Dave