Installing SANE-1.0.23, the configure shows this warning:

*** Warning: sane-backends will be built without libusb support.  There may
*** be valid reasons to do so, e.g. if you don't use USB scanners or on
*** platforms without libusb support but generally this means that you
*** can't use USB devices with SANE. The most probable cause is that
*** the libusb header file usb.h is not installed. If you use Linux
*** you may need a package called 'libusb-dev', 'libusb-devel' or similar.

What have I missed? I do have libusb-1.0.9 installed.

Thanks,
Dave