On 07/31/2013 10:44 PM, Dave Wagler wrote:
> I now have XFCE installed. Almost. It starts,the wallpaper and desktop
> icons are there, the mouse works, the keyboard is recognized. The
> problem is that instead of alphanum characters on the screen, there are
> just a whole lot of little rectangles. What did I miss?
>
> Also what's the best way to autostart XFCE when I login? Thanks.
> Dave

You might wanna install some truetype fonts as described here

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/xorg-config.html

Scroll down to "Xft Font Protocol"

If that persists, try redirecting startx output to a file and see if
there are any errors/warnings about Pango or Cairo (which handle the
fonts in GTK+2).