Hello All,

I have a hda-intel sound card in my Toshiba laptop. I have successfully
installed alsa-lib, alsa, pulseaudio, all gstreamer plugins from the Blfs
instructions. I have installed skype and the speaker volume is working perfect.
But I have problem with microphone.

When I am recording the sound using skype test program, the sound is very
distorted.

After searching in google, I found out that although I have installed
pulseaudio, skype is not using pulse audio as in the audio configuration of
skype it shows only default audio devices and sound cards, but not pulse audio
sound server.

If I understand properly the reason behind this is that pulseaudio server has
not been started, so i wanted to start the pulseaudio, but it gives me the
error, cannot start pulse audio.

So there are two topics,

First,if we have installed pulseaudio how can i see that the sound devices
actually using the pulseaudio and how can I start the pulse audio ?

Secondly,  say for the moment ,that we are only using only alsa and not the
pulseaudio, is there any way to change the configuration so that I do not get
the distorted sound?

n.B. when I have installed alsa-lib, the configuration files have not been
installed in /etc/asound.conf , ~/.asoundrc  as stated in the blfs online book
but in /usr/share/alsa.

Thanks for any help. I am trying since two days to solve the problem without
success !!!!
Regards,
Roy

This is a signature message which indicates that this email is not spam