I was installing the dev version of drupal 8 when it complained that the
php extension gd was missing.  AFAIK drupal also works with ImageMagick
which I had installed, but just to be on the safe side I decided to install
gd.

In BLFS 7.4 gd is listed on the php-5.5.3 page as optional under the
graphics utilities and libraries with the rider "has bugs".  The link took
me to a fossies.org page which claimed that the file was missing and had
been updated.  Also, the file wasn't (isn't?) libgd but a perl interface to
the library.  The actual libgd is listed here
https://bitbucket.org/libgd/gd-libgd/downloads

I built libgd-2.1.0 on LFS 7.2 using cmake -i, make and make install and it
built cleanly.  I rebuilt php-5.5.3 with the gd extension and everything
now works as expected.  Perhaps the book could be updated to reflect this.

Richard