On Wed, 2013-11-27 at 11:17 -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
> I'm working my way throught the Xorg installation and getting close to
> installing the drivers.  Xorg hasn't quite caught up yet with my chip
> which is Radeon HD 8610G, and I'm going to use the proprietary driver
> from ATI.  I'm asking for advice on when to install it.  It's a
> pre-compiled binary and installs with a script.  Should I install it
> when I install drivers for Xorg, or should I wait until I'm finished
> with Xorg and install it before I start Xorg for the first time?
>
> This driver comes with a QT based configuration utility.  As I look at
> the BLFS book, I see Qt-4.85 and Qt-5.1.1.  In what circumstances are
> both of these necessary?  I'm thinking of building 5.1.1 because of its
> recentness.  I'm not that familiar with Qt--in fact I'm quite ignorant
> of it--and want to install what is necessary for my system to work.

Qt5 *is* more recent - but because of that, there's a good chance it
won't work with the Radeon config tool. Different major versions of Qt
aren't binary (or even 100% source) compatible, so unless AMD have
already ported it to Qt5, it probably require Qt4.

Unless, that is, it's statically linked, or perhaps provides it's own
private copy? I've never used the AMD proprietary drivers, so I don't
know the tool you're referring to...

Simon.