On 12/13/2013 06:18 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> [...]
> privileged version is called "amdccclesu" which is actually an alias for
> <amdxdg-su -c amdcccle>.  The amdxdg-su is a "wrapper" GUI that requires
> "superuser" privileges.  Each is called from the menu by its own
> .desktop file.
>
> When I run <pkexec amdxdg-su -c amdcccle> from a terminal I get the
> dialogue that requires my password.  But when I enter my password and
> <Enter> nothing happens and I get the message in the terminal:
>
>> Failed to open connection to "session" message bus: Using X11 for
>> dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your
>> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
>> xprop:  unable to open display ''
>> amdxdg-su: no graphical method available for invoking 'amdcccle' as 'root'
>
> This is reminiscent of the situation the other day, which I solved, with
> gparted and polkit, gnome-polkit and consolekit.  In addtion, when I
> open the "Details" drop down in the authentification window I see:
>
>> Action: org.freedesktop.policykit.exec
>
> as opposed to what I see when I run <pkexec gparted> in a terminal:
>
>> Action: org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.run-gparted
>
> I would have expected the "Action" statement in the details for
> authenticating amdxdg-su to be
> "org.freedeskto.policykit.pkexec.run-amdxdg-su".  Since I didn't get
> that, I think that there is something wrong in the pkexec policy file.
>
> Here is /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.policy:
>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
>>  "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
>>  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd";>
>> <policyconfig>
>>
>>   <action id="org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.run-gparted">
>>     <description>Run GParted</description>
>>     <message>Authentication is required to run GParted</message>
>>     <defaults>
>>       <allow_any>no</allow_any>
>>       <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
>>       <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
>>     </defaults>
>>     <annotate
>> key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/sbin/gparted</annotate>
>>     <annotate
>> key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">TRUE</annotate>
>>   </action>
>>

>>   <action id="org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.run-amdxdg-su">
>>     <description>Run Catalyst Control Center</description>
>>     <message>Authentication is required to run Catalyst Control
>> Center</message>
>>     <defaults>
>>       <allow_any>no</allow_any>
>>       <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
>>       <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
>>     </defaults>
>>     <annotate
>> key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/amdxdg-su -c
>> amdccle</annotate>
>>     <annotate
>> key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">TRUE</annotate>

well. for a start I'd suggest keeping these two seperate. Not that it
would matter much. Second, you want to run amdcccle GUI program, not
amdxdg-su, which does EXACTLY what pkexec does, but amdxdg-su appears to
invoke gksu/gksudo. Saying so, you need to change this in the file above:

>> key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/amdxdg-su -c
>> amdccle</annotate>

to the full path to amdcccle executable.

key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/amdcccle</annotate>

This means you want to drop amdxdg-su everywhere in the instructions
here which would make:

> This is the same file I created the other day to get gparted to run from
> menu.  I "copied and pasted" the gparted <action>.....</action> and made
> the changes that I thought I needed for "amdxdg-su -c amdcccle".  The
> only difference I can see is the space-separted words in the "exec.path"
> line.  Should the spaces be "escaped" somhow?  (I would try that but I
> don't know the syntax for an XML file.)  Also, I don't know if the whole
> command should be in the "run-amdxdg-su"  line.  I just thought this
> particular item was a name of sorts.
>
> And here is the "Exec" line from the .desktop file.

This one:

>> Exec=pkexec amdxdg-su -c amdcccle

Into this one:

Exec=pkexec amdcccle