On 12/20/2013 11:58 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 12/20/2013 11:34 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Dan McGhee wrote:

>>> I am still trying to get sound. I'm hoping, even if someone doesn't have
>>> any experience at this, to get some comments on my logic and approach. I
>>> like to have a plan, with a reasonable chance for success, based on
>>> knowledge and understanding before I go charging off and install
>>> packages and do things in an "easter egging" sort of way. I don't like,
>>> "Try this," "No, try that." The key is, "based on knowledge and
>>> understanding." I need to "know what I don't know" so I can ask
>>> questions. In this case I have very little knowledge and understanding.
>>> For example, I don't know how "hda-jack-retask" works. I'm just working
>>> from a couple of wiki posts that say, in essence, "If you have a Beats
>>> Audio System on your HP laptop, you need to do this."
>>>
>>> At any rate, thanks for listening. :) I studied the particular "HowTo"
>>> I'm using and realized I had glossed over this statement:

>>> Here is the link for the "HowTo:"
>>>
>>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105284
>>>
>>> What's happening for me is that I do the steps for hda-jack-retask and
>>> then run <speaker-test> with no success. The quoted remark seems to be
>>> saying to use some audio program, other than alsa, and that PulseAudio
>>> is installed. This "HowTo" appears both on Ubuntu and Debian sites, and
>>> both of those distros employ PulseAudio. The author of hda-jack-retask
>>> is an Ubuntu--maybe Debian--developer. No where in anything I've seen so
>>> far have I read that PulseAudio is needed for this.
>>>
>>> I also don't know when the author of the "HowTo" says, "...on Debian I
>>> couldn't get any test sound to play...," if he was referring to
>>> <speaker-test> or not.
>>>
>>> This whole process is aimed at changing the way the "snd_hda_intel"
>>> module works. I can't see that any app could reach down to the bowels of
>>> that module and change it. This "retask" package may operate at a higher
>>> level and need something like PulseAudio to "interpret" the changes as
>>> the info comes off the sound harware. My picture is that this works
>>> similarly to the way NdisWrapper works for some wireless drivers.
>>>
>>> So the question becomes, "Do I need higher level operations to get
>>> sound?" I'm about to install PulseAudio, beef up Gstreamer and install a
>>> music player to test all of this.
>>>
>>> Comments? Thoughts? Encouragement? Analysis?
>> I've used pulseaudio and plain alsa.  Pulseaudio is useful if you want
>> to control the audio via a command line interface includign things like
>> volume, playing multiple streams (e.g. music and beeps), etc.  For
>> speaker test, it sounds like the system may not be playing on the device
>> you expect.  Have you looked at the man page for speaker-test?
>>
>>      -- Bruce
>>
> Yes, I have, Bruce. I physically have two sound devices. One is HDMI and
> the other, whose chip I can't identify, runs with the Azalia Controller
> [...]
BTW, Bruce. I'm thinking that pulseaudio may pass the new pin mapping to
the player. When I get pulse audio installed, I'm going to try this
using aplayer rather then `speaker-test.`

What I discovered when I ran hda-jack-retask is that I have a number of
"not connected" pins. I found a script called "alsa-info.sh" which gives
more info than you ever wanted to know about your sound system and found
that the pins that I need are all mapped to the same memory location.
What that translates to human understanding I don't know. It just seems
that 6 different pins should be mapped to different locations. These
pins for example 0xfd are also those indicated "not connected."

Dan

Dan