On 12/23/2013 05:27 PM, William Harrington wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Judging from LFS, many people skip things like the preface.  I don't
>> know how many times users have run into problems because they didn't
>> read the preface and run the host requirements script.

I would like to think that those who actually completed and booted into
their LFS system did (and still do) RTFM.

> I also do note that in LFS, in places where the LFS variable needs to
> be set, it is checked a few times in a note.
>
> Although, I think it'd be a pain to add that to each xorg page.
>
> NOTE: Make sure XORG_PREFIX and XORG_CONFIG is set. If it isn't please
> go to this page and set it before continuing.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> WIlliam Harrington

Although I did not encounter this issue, I understand completely where
you are coming from, William.  One of the first things I did was add a
little hack to my boot to give me 11 terminals, and messages sent to
tty12.  That said, I've had up to 8 terms going following dependencies
(and a lot of duckduckgo/google).

Judging from my own experience (1st time LFS/BLFS'er (and list poster)),
there are a lot of pitfalls along the journey (I'm probably lucky to
still have any hair left!).  My preference to solve this problem would
be to add these variables in the sample /etc/profile file given in BLFS
chapter 3.

Regards,

Merell Matlock