Dear BLFS Support List

No latex command? texlive-20130530

I tried a local install inspired by:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/pst/texlive.html

I did not use the Texlive installer. Instead I downloaded the source tarball
ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/2013/texlive-20130530-source.tar.xz[1]

./configure --prefix=/home/magnus/opt/texlive                  \
            --disable-native-texlive-build \
            --enable-build-in-source-tree  \
            --without-luatex               \
            --enable-mktextex-default      \
            --with-banner-add=" - BLFS"

make -j8
make install

I get a working tex in /home/magnus/opt/texlive/bin:
magnus@lfs ~> tex
This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2013 - BLFS)

Question(s):
Why did I not get a latex command in /home/magnus/opt/texlive/bin?

Is the interactive texlive installer the only option? (and the source tarball
is only a
subset). The blfs build instruction starts with the texlive installer and the
source install
comes later. Is the texlive installer a mandatory step?

Do I have to install Latex (scripts) separately? How?

Am I missing a prerequisite package? ./configure did not complain.
I have the following optional dependencies: ghostscript, Poppler, FreeType,
Fontconfig, libpng, X Window System, ICU, Lua installed.
I do not have GD, t1lib, ZZIPlib, CLISP,  TECkit, and Graphite.

Am I missing configuration date, ie TEXMFMAIN, TEXMFHOME, etc?
Probably since I get:
magnus@lfs ~/test/tex> tex test.tex
        This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2013 - BLFS)
        kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
        /home/magnus/opt/texlive/bin/mktexfmt: line 395:
/home/magnus/opt/texmf-         dist/texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or
directory
        fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
        I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!

tcfmgr script was installed in:
/home/magnus/opt/texlive/share/texmf-dist/texconfig.

Best regards,

Magnus Larsson

--------
[1] ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/2013/texlive-20130530-source.tar.xz