On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Richard Melville
<richard.melvill...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I had the same problem; you have to have the kernel image on the same
> flash drive.  That could be seen as a security issue but as we are dealing
> with very small computers somebody could just as easily walk off with the
> complete box as they could with the USB flash drive.  Anyway, I have my USB
> flash drive locked under the front cover of the case; it's not on display.
> Of course, removing the flash drive renders the computer un-bootable; a
> security feature in itself.
>
> I use an 8GB flash drive (that seems to be the optimum capacity now,
> price-wise) and partition it into a 100MB boot partition with the remaining
> space as swap.  With 8GB of RAM I don't need to swap to it but I'm hoping to
> be able to use it for hibernation.  My systems are battery powered so I see
> it as a safety feature.  I've had no luck yet getting it to work (more BIOS
> problems I think) but I'm working on it.
>
> So, the boot partition holds the extlinux directory and the kernel image and
> nothing else. If you do that it should boot OK without initramfs. I've also
> been able to boot to another USB flash drive so the target drive is
> immaterial.  Let me know how you get on.

I have a few SATA disks connected to motherboard in addition to USB
boot disk, so I'm using UUID to identify root partition.
I have to use initramfs because I refer to root fs via UUID and udev
is not running at the time of mounting root fs.

So far with extlinux I could boot to ram disk on the new BIOS (where
grub fails miserably).
However on all motherboards boot process stops at the point of
mounting/finding  root partition.
I do have a rootdelay, but it does not help:
LABEL MyLinux
    menu label MyLinux
    LINUX /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.32-sm01
    APPEND root=PARTUUID=49acd73e-1457-424f-8dc1-3c3fa027becf \
                  rootfstype=ext4 rootdelay=20
    INITRD /boot/initrd.img-3.10.32-sm01

If I do blkid, I can see /dev/sdh1 with a correct UUID (root fs).
I suspect initramfs image might have some issues and I wonder if I can
use scripts from BLFS or CLFS to create it or I need some adjustments
for extlinux variant (for example, /boot is a separate partition now).

Regards,
Alexey