        .
> After I installed these fonts I actually rebooted my computer and when I
> issued the startx command, after a couple minutes twm started correctly
> and the clock also came up correctly.

Further to the notes elsewhere re font caches &c:
About that 'couple minutes': have you got networking setup and functioning
ok on the machine? Reason for asking is that startx normally will do
some networking-related things; and you may be seeing timeouts or similar
for those.

When you issue the command 'startx', does it output an xauth line plus
a blank line or so, then pause for a while, before issuing the 'X.Org
X Server ...' line then going on quite briskly to a bunch more lines,
before switching into 'graphical' mode? Or, does it get to the 'X.Org
...' line quite quickly and then is slow from there, or what?

You could edit /usr/bin/startx to show/trace - even just some 'echo
...' lines - what it's doing at the various stages, and see if that shows
up the/any bottleneck(s).

hth,
akh

        .  .