Is it a real hardware laptop?

vesafb is module for a simple frame buffer,
fglrx is closed source AMD driver.

For fglrx you should configure Xorg using vendor tool packed with
driver package - fglrxconfig.
For modern AMD driver it is called aticonfig.

If it is laptop with two graphics cards you maybe will need PRIME or
Bumblebee for switching it if it is not selectable in BIOS/UEFI.

Could you please try an open source driver (xf86-video-ati)? Before
you need to uninstall fglrx driver and restore all back to state
before its installation.
In system without packaging system installation of binary blob &co.
can do not easily revert able changes.

Regards, David.

aticonfig