On 04/06/14 16:23, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> BASH=/bin/sh
> This appears to be your problem.  It should be /bin/bash.
>
> Your password file should be:

> Bash changes behavior if started with the sh name.
>
>     -- Bruce
My /etc/passwd entries contain only /bin/bash.

Again, I'm OK with using rxvt.  I was looking to experiment with other
terminal emulators anyway.  Perhaps this will work itself out with the
next release.  I tried the newest kernel yesterday and again got a blank
screen.  I can't remember a problem with xterm or a blank screen on
boot, but it's not as if I'm dead in the water as I have easy
workarounds for both.  I'm up-and-running on 7.5.

If you're still interested in the problem out of curiosity, I admire
that and you're the better man.  I'll gladly continue testing, but I
certainly don't expect you to spend more of your time on this.  I've
been well served by you and everyone on the board with this problem.