In the past I have not built libvdpau-va-gl, but when I've used
xine in a desktop term I've seem messages about not being able to use
vdpau.  So I thought I would try it on my main R600.

 I've built and installed it, exported VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl, and
/usr/lib/vdpau contains the various drivers, including
libvdpau_r600.so, but when I run xine-ui from a term in X I see:

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.9.
(c) 2000-2014 The xine Team.
libva info: VA-API version 0.37.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vo_vdpau: vdpau API version : 1
vo_vdpau: vdpau implementation description : OpenGL/VAAPI/libswscale
backend for VDPAU
vo_vdpau: maximum video surface size for chroma type 4:2:2 is
1920x1080
vo_vdpau: maximum video surface size for chroma type 4:2:0 is
1920x1080
vo_vdpau: maximum output surface size is 0x0
vo_vdpau: Failed to check vdpau get/put bits native capability :
VDP_STATUS_NO_IMPLEMENTATION

 What makes me ask if this works is the r600_drv_video.so failure.
The libs in /usr/lib/dri come from Mesa, and the r600 variant has
been r600_dri.so since at least Meas-10.0.

 A past thread at
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-962312.html?sid=a18767f591f1a172ac99cd39f4a5e6c5
suggests both that libvdpau-va-gl only works for HD4000+ radeons
(this one of mine is a 3000), and also that it is no longer being
developed.

 But since the library it is looking for does not seem to exist. I
wonder if it works on *any* hardware ?

 In post #1054 from 'agd5f' (Alex Deucher, I think)) in a thread
at phoronix -
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?50038-Updated-and-Optimized-Ubuntu-Free-Graphics-Drivers&p=406182#post406182
he says (in the context of ubuntu) "Don't use libvdpau-va-gl1. That
emulates vdpau using va-api and gl for drivers that don't support
vdpau. The performance will not be good. The radeon driver supports
vdapu natively. Install the libg3dvl-mesa and mesa-vdpau-drivers
packages. "

 That libg3dvl-mesa package appears to be the gallium drivers,
mesa-vdpau-drivers is presumably the libraries which Mesa installs
in /usr/lib/vdpau, libvdpau_{nouveau,r300,r600,radeonsi}.so

 All of this makes me suspect that libvdpau-va-gl is obsolete.
But perhaps it is useful on some other hardware ?

 As to libvdpau itself, google finds references to nvidia drivers
(not sure if those were for binary or the old xorg nvidia), so I
suppose it might still be needed (my only nvidia card is on my ppc64
mac which is more or less defunct).

ĸen