On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 09:22:59 +0100
"Michael D. L." <blfs-supp...@cosis.dk> wrote:

> CONFIG_ATA_BMDMA=Y
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

Interesting. It seems many SATA controllers have an IDE compatibility
mode (BIOS setable):

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ATA_SFF.html
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ATA_PIIX.html

In anycase, Victor's controller is using the modern AHCI mode:

: 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6
: port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
: Subsystem: Dell 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA
: Controller [AHCI mode]

If CONFIG_ATA_BMDMA=Y works, I'd still say there is a bug or misinformation
out there somewhere.

In any case, he said it was working under 4.4.2, but broke in 4.4.4.

Assuming "make oldconfig" was used to import/convert the original 4.4.2
configuration to the newer kernel:

http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2011-August/003085.html

it is possible Victor is seeing a kernel bug. Perhaps a test of 4.4.3 is in
order. I do not see anything related (e.g., SATA, 82801IR) in the changelogs
of 4.4.3 and 4.4.4:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.4.3
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.4.4

Another idea is to try changing the SATA port the CDROM is plugged into.

   Cheers,

   Mike