Intel released fresh microcode on 20200609 to provide mitigation for
the SRBDS vulnerability, and this week's kernel releases list
Mitigation: Microcode for srbds on affected machines with that
microcode.

But on Monday Pierre made me aware that there were issues on some
Skylake machines (06-4e-03) - issue 31 at
https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-Files/issues
so I put a Caution on the firmware page.

Meanwhile, my own 06-5e-03 skylake was fine with that release.  But
yesterday Intel released a 20200616 version which reverts both sets
of Skylake microcode to the old (0xd6) version.

For the moment, my gut feeling is that, at least on 06-5e-03, the
20200609 microcode is good.  But I have exactly one machine like
that (running sysvinit) and no 06-4e-03 machines.  Looking at issue
31, it seems likely that the reporters were all running systemd.  I
cannot think of any logical reason why systemd should cause
early-boot hangs with the updated microcode, but to try to get
towards the bottom of this I'd like to hear from anyone with a
Skylake who has updated to the 20200609 firmware:

Which variant (triplet), was early-loading successful, are you using
sysvinit or systemd ?

Thanks

ĸen
--
So it's not 'I think, therefore I am', it's 'The computer thinks,
therefore I think I am'.  I've never actually thought about that