On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 10:19:18AM -0500, Douglas R. Reno via blfs-support
wrote:

> On 8/9/20 6:57 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
> > My second set of problems with video players ;)
> >
> > I know that xine has always been rather fragile, partly related to
> > CFLAGS I use in oe of the dependencies - but a year ago those
> > detined flags made it mostly work.  With mov files and some of my
> > own mkv and (old: fmpeg-0.7!) mp4 conversions it has tended to
> > stutter (the picture jumps backwards).  On downloads they usually
> > play ok.
> >
> > With my current (late July build) on my haswell, almost everything
> > that I try to play in xine crashes at startup.  On my machine using
> > radeon r600, my own mov files crash but everything else plays fine.
> > On my machien with amdgpu, the mov files from my camera similarly
> > crash, but everything else plays *until I use the xine control
> > slider to move forward through the video* (I don't wish to spend
> > hours looking at the files I'm using for testing).  As soon as I
> > touch the slider, xine crashes.
> >
> > Looking back at older systems, that behaviour with amdgpu was
> > present in BLFS-9.1.
> >
> > I've now reverted the string of packages I mentioned in my post
> > about parole (but again that has made no difference.

> > mostly works on radeon, works on amdgpu if I don't use the controls
> > and let it play through.
> >
> > Again, I would be interested to hear of other people's successes.
> > Note that one or two files (one commercial mov, two commercial wmv)
> > do work with or without the reverts, other commercial wmv files
> > crash.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Hi Ken,
>

> I wanted to let you know that I was able to get Xine to play
> big_buck_bunny.mp4 properly on my Intel Skylake system (i5-6600k). I don't
> have any .mov files or any .wmv files sitting around here that I can use
> though, and I'm not sure converting would be much help here either. I did
> also scrub through the video using the slider, and watched it to completion.
>
> I am using Mesa-20.1.5, with the Intel Iris driver that's built into Mesa
> (newer Intel systems won't be able to use i965 properly, especially once the
> Xe series of graphics cards comes out). FFMPEG-4.3.1 is in use too. The
> current driver loaded on my system is "iris". I did see an error regarding
> libvdpau_nvidia.so when starting though, but I don't think that's related.
> As far as I can tell, I do have the latest version of the related packages
> installed on this machine.
>
> Here is my console output:
>
> renodr [ /sources ]$ xine big_buck_bunny.mp4
> This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player
> v0.99.12.                                                 |
> (c) 2000-2019 The xine Team.
> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or direct
> ory
> libva info: VA-API version 1.8.0
> libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error,
> [...]
Hi Doug.

First, thanks for looking at this.  I will be very surprised if
permissions are involved, because I'm using the same scripts
(different xorg video drivers, and the intel-specific va only on
intel) on haswell (broken), radeon (ok), amdgpu (ok until I use the
slider to scroll forward or back).

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.