On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 01:13:19 +0100
Ken Moffat via blfs-support <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 05:28:42PM -0400, Scott Andrews via
> blfs-support wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 22:10:37 +0100 Ken Moffat via blfs-support
> > <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >

> > > For a desktop machine, 2GB is woefully inadequate nowadays :-(
> > > (And if it is a server, nss might be an uncommon choice).
> > >
> > > ĸen
> >
> > Maybe from your point a view.  I am using raspbery pi 3 and 4 as
> > desktop machines and servers.  They work well.
> >
> Great, for whatever packages you are compiling on your desktop.  But
> the OP was using x86_64 and on that 2GB is woefully inadequate for
> comiling a modern desktop - unless someone is using a single core
> machine, and I do not recall when those were last produced in
> x86_64. To be honest I could not contemplate building and
> maintaining an x86_64 BLFS machine with less than 4 cores and 2GB
> RAM per core (for things like rust and qtwebengine).  Oh, my laptop
> has 8 cores but a pitiful amount of RAM (6.7GB according to top,
> some is used for the video) and on that I have to shut down almost
> everything and force rust and qtwebengine to use fewer cores when I
> rebuild those or firefox, and it is painful.
>
> For i686 I have no idea how much RAM is needed to build and maintain
> a BLFS *desktop* system.
>
> I assume you are using 32-bit for at least pi3.  Out of interest,
> Which graphical browser do you build for your desktop ?
>
> ĸen

Chromium and firefox-esr.
The build machine is a raspberry pi 2

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
1GB RAM
100 Base Ethernet
4 USB ports
40 GPIO pins
Full HDMI port
Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
Camera interface (CSI)
Display interface (DSI)
Micro SD card slot
VideoCore IV 3D graphics core

FLAGS are as follows
#       ARM settings, RPI2
MARCH="armv7-a+neon-vfpv4"
MTUNE="cortex-a7"
MFLOAT="hard"
MFPU="neon-vfpv4"

%_optflags -O2 -pipe -march=${MARCH} -mtune=${MTUNE}
-mfloat-abi=${MFLOAT} -mfpu=${MFPU} -fPIC -fomit-frame-pointer
-ftree-vectorize
%_system_type --with-arch=${MARCH} --with-fpu=${MFPU}
--with-float=${MFLOAT} --with-arch-directory=arm

I can build LFS-9.0 complete with kernel, dovecot, exim, dns and rpm
in less than 24 hours.

I don't have the time for Chromium and firefox-esr, as I didn't keep
the logs for the old build system.  I am currently updating my build
scripts to make the simpler.