On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 11:40:08AM -0500, Pat Barnes via
blfs-support wrote:

> On 3/5/21 2:54 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 12:32:05PM -0500, Pat Barnes via
> > blfs-support wrote:
> > > While installing LLVM in 10.1, I found that Clang now has a
> > > dependency on GIT. This should be added to the list of
> > > dependencies for LLVM, at least when Clang is also installed.
> > >
> > > Pat
> > >
> > Looking at one of my own builds, I can see git is mentioned (and
> > I install git very early in my build), but I don't think it has
> > anything to do with clang (although /usr/bin/git-clang-format
> > does get installed (a python script).
> >
> > I can see the following references to GIT in the CMakeLists.txt:
> >
> > ./utils/benchmark/src/CMakeLists.txt:    "${version_config}"
> > VERSION ${GIT_VERSION} COMPATIBILITY SameMajorVersion
> > ./utils/benchmark/CMakeLists.txt:# get_git_version(GIT_VERSION)
> > ./utils/benchmark/CMakeLists.txt:set(GIT_VERSION "v0.0.0")
> >
> > The first of those is:
> >
> > include(CMakePackageConfigHelpers)
> > write_basic_package_version_file( "${version_config}" VERSION
> > ${GIT_VERSION} COMPATIBILITY SameMajorVersion)
> >
> > and the second and third are:
> >
> > # Read the git tags to determine the project version # WARNING:
> > This is meaningless for when the benchmark library is being
> > built in-tree, # so disable it and hardcode a null version.  #
> > include(GetGitVersion) # get_git_version(GIT_VERSION)
> > set(GIT_VERSION "v0.0.0")
> >
> > That makes me think it is a piece of boilerplate and that
> > although cmake looks for it, it doesn't actually use it.
> >
> > Or did your build fail, or else not install git-clang-format,
> > because git was missing ?
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Yes, my build failed until I installed GIT and then it installed
> correctly without any problem. The failure occurred after LLVM
> proper had compiled and the checks for CLANG dependencies egan.
>
> Pat

Thanks for the report.  I've moved git to a required dependency in
the dev books at r24349 and created errata entries for 10.1 and
10.1-systemd.

ĸen
--
RIGHT, he said, PESTILENCE, OPEN ANOTHER PACK OF CARDS. I'M GOING TO GET
TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS IF IT KILLS ME, FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING OF COURSE.