Hi Patricia,

Are you sure that the cartridge is completely out?

Have you actually looked at the print job, or gotten someone to look at it,
and they have said that the black ink is not printing?

Is it the computer that is telling you that you are out of ink?

The reason I ask these questions is that if you use an ink jet printer, and
just because the computer tells you that the cartridge is out, doesn't mean
that the cartridge is actually out.

If this is the case, and the computer is actually telling you that the ink
cartridge is out, there is a remedy for this, and you can read on further to
find out how.

If you are using a laser printer, or if someone has told you that the black
characters are not coming out on the page, then you have to print it in
another colour other than black, possibly a blue, or dark blue, if you can
see these things.

I should warn you that if you try to print something with any hint of black
in it, then you may get spots in your printing, and this may not be what you
want.

On the other hand, as I said above, if it's the computer that's telling you
that the ink jet cartridge is out, you still have some ink left in the
cartridge, it's just the software's failsafe way of making sure that the
print heads don't dry out and get damaged.

Having said that, if what you have to print is important enough for you, you
can fool the printer and computer into thinking that you have changed the
cartridge, and you can get another 50 to 75 more pages out of it.

If you have a canon printer, then this becomes much more easier, and there
are less negatives.

If you press the maintenance button on the printer for a few seconds, the
print head will move to the center or so to allow you to change the
cartridge.

Once you've done this, simply lift the flap that holds and pinches in the
cartridge, take out the cartridge for a second or two, then put it back in,
close the flap or lock down, and press the maintenance button again.

This will fool the cartridge into thinking that the cartridge has been
changed, and you can continue printing more pages until the ink actually
does run out.

I should warn you of a couple of things if you are going to do this.

First, you run the risk of drying out the print heads, as I stated above, so
you really should change the ink cartridge before it actually does run out
soon after your important print job.

Secondly, if you fool the computer into thinking the cartridge got changed,
the computer won't know when it is really empty from that point on, as what
ever status monitor you had will think you put a new full cartridge into it,
and so it has to keep thinking that way until it thinks you've printed
enough to warrant another change in cartridge.  That's the downside.

The reason I said if you have a Canon printer it becomes much more easier to
do this, is because Canon printers actually have a sensor on the flap of the
printer that allows you to get into the cartridge area, and it can detect
when the printer lid has been open, so it asks you if you have recently
changed the cartridge, and which cartridge you have changed.  I'm not sure
if all Canon printers do this or not, but the one my business partner has
does.

In any case, you'll have to weigh the negatives and the positives to decide
whether you want to perform the above action or not.

Victor

body of a blank message to:
http://www.jaws-users.com/BlindComputing.php
If you wish to join the JAWS Users List send a blank email to the following
address: