It might still be relevant.

Not sure if this is relevant, but FWIW, some of those templates might
contain some code snippets in a language specific to Office applications,
called VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), and because of that, certain
spyware/anti-virus programs might in fact sort of try scan them (not aware
of any instances where it caused a related problem), and if they do in fact
make any changes, it might in fact corrupt them.

Also this sort of thing is not specifically related to any version of Office
since I remember playing with this sort of thing somewhere around Office
95/97, which was a while ago.

Either way, I still think that Office 2000 will regenerate it's normal.dot
file if it is removed after getting corrupt.

Also possible that spyware program was just intercepting/interrupting an
operation within MS Word to try to stop some or other spam/mail/information
collection operation it thought was happening or something, but who knows...

Hope what I'm saying is somehow useful, and stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA