As far as I know you can reformate the drive without losing your data at all
there is a command line thingy that can be used to do it for the life of me
I can not remember it just now but will try to look it up later on today

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of aiden gardiner
Sent: 15 May 2008 03:15
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] need advice with an external drive

It doesn't take long if you use the quick format option, but if you don't
use it, it can take around half an hour, sometimes longer. remember that any

data you've got on there will be destroyed, so move any valuable data to
another location.

Hope this helps

Aiden