It seems that my upstairs clock was off when I got up after losing
patience with Avast and let it do its thing and the total actual time was 8
hours and not 10.  Avast claimed the scan ran for 51 minutes or so before I
stopped it after I got up and the percentage hadn't changed in 4 hours.

Margaret

Previously, I wrote:

Hi All,

    I attempted my first scan with the free version of Avast yesterday and
the thing drove me nuts.

    I thought I chose hard drive, test archives, and thorough scan and in
over 10 hours of actual time only got to 17% and I think it found something
like 157 things.  It seemed like every 20 seconds it wanted something sent
to the chest and, if I'm using the thing properly, you have to baby sit the
thing and can't leave it unattended.  My patience wore out last night and I
left it to do whatever it did and, when I came back down, it was still at
the same percentage I'd left it at.

    I ran AVG 7.5 before my tech remotely installed Avast and a scan of the
hard drive only found 4 false positives and it scanned the whole C drive in
something like 2 hours.

    I'm running JAWS 9.0.2169 on XP Home with SP2.  The latest version of
JAWS seems to have some focus problems with OE 6, so I decided to try Avast
before going with AVG 8 free since I didn't know if I'd keep using 9.0.2169.

    Am I trying to scan correctly?  Are other people having this many
"infections?"

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Visit the Blind Computing home page at:
 http://www.jaws-users.com/BlindComputing.php