You may have a broken SAPI4 engine, which will prevent SAPI4 working
across the system. This can be fixed by removing the broken SAPI4
engine reference from the registry, or fixing the engine by
re-installing. Reinstalling the SAPI4 runtime won't help.

Instructions on removing the entries for the broken SAPI4 engines are
here (see Cure 1)
http://help.clarodownloads.com/problemsWithClaroReadStarting.htm

This page has utilities you can use, including the SAPI4 runtime
installer SPCHAPI.EXE:
http://help.clarodownloads.com/downloads.htm

This program can identify which voices or engines, if any, are working:
http://help.clarodownloads.com/SAPI4Test.exe

Best wishes,
Alasdair King
WebbIE