Hello fellow visually impaired technology users. My wife and I have a problem. She purchased a beautiful set of programs from the Mash series. But when we try to play them on our ordinary Denin DVD player, it's a real problem because they are in some kind of multiple menu listing. Trying to navigate through that list has been a challenge. I was told that if we could find one of the basic portable DVD players, it might not be as difficult to use. I have the thankless task of locating such a player as a joint Christmas gift.
Here's what we need.

In order to navigate to any particular episode on the list, you have to move the cursor to that particular version, then press the Enter key and it will play. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Well, it isn't. First of all, a warning message comes up on the screen which is posted on most commercial DVD programs. It talks about illegal copying and so on. After about 25 seconds, that message goes away and the menu appears. On this particular issue, the odd numbered programs are on the left and the even numbered versions are on the right. The operator uses the up and down cursors to move to a particular episode as I have already described. Okay. Now you get the picture. If you don't wait long enough, you are trying to use cursor strokes while that warning message is playing. If you miss one key stroke, you end up with the wrong program. I'd play it on our computer but for some reason, my drive doesn't recognize DVD recordings. When you put the disk in, it just sits there after the drive attempts to play it a couple of times. Here are some questions.

1. How fast does a drive have to be to play a DVD disk? My particular unit goes to 32X.
2.  Do you need a special program to play a DVD in the computer?
3. Does anyone know if one of those portable DVD players might be easier to navigate than this professional deck is?

I asked this question once a long time ago but I didn't get a helpful response. I'm hoping that I have better luck this time.

Thanks group.

John and Linda Justice
With guide dogs Jake and Zachary

"My job feeds my family, music feeds my soul."

PERSONAL E-MAIL:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit the Blind Computing home page at: