Hi Folks

does anyone know if there is a tool to test hard drives, that is accessible?

I have reasons to think my drive is dieing as I've just completed a re format
to find my pc keeps crashing.

most of the time I'm not running anything, or maybe one program like winamp.

Although do have programs in the background such as Avast, super anti spyware
and the like.

I know it's not memory related as I've 4 gig.

my pc makes a beeping noise which increases speed then it kind of goes in to a
squeal and locks up.

when it first did this after the re install, jaws crashed, then when I rebooted
jaws crashed again.  it kept doing this. so I updated jaws.  I thought it was
jaws having the issue but now it crashes with other programs such as Outlook
express.  to make matters worse, this is a random thing.  I cant duplicate the
crash.

I'm running xp with jaws 9.  sorry I forgot to mention this above.

any way, if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

I've run all the various tests but nothing is indicating the drive is about to
die. I'm just not taking chances.

thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthy email.  *smiles*

Elaine
Visit the Blind Computing home page at:
 blind-computing-le...@jaws-users.com
 blind-computing-requ...@jaws-users.com