Hi, I am using the Dell XPS1530 and has no regrets. The keys takes some time getting use too, but once you keep using them you'll manage. Not sure if I could provide you with all the answers you need, but having received my laptop only weeks ago, I thought that I could throw in my two-cents here as I am a new laptop owner as well.
Hope this helps.
----- Original Message ----- From: "JOHN JUSTICE" <john_just...@verizon.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:12 PM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] an old computer user with a few questions aboutlaptops

Hello group.
I have never used a laptop computer before but now, I am considering purchasing one. Our old desktop PC is still functioning quite well but it is getting a little long in the tooth. Rather than replacing it with another tower, I have decided to look into laptops. I know absolutely nothing about them so I'm going to ask a few apparently stupid and certainly ignorant questions.

1.  What is Wi Fi and how does it work?
2.  Do you need an internet provider to use the Wi Fi connection?
3.  How good is Wi Fi in most areas?
3.  How does it work, precisely?
4. Can you take me through a session using a laptop and describe the steps you take when going on line?
5.  Are there good laptops and bad laptops?
6.  How can I tell the difference?
7. Which is better, something like Dell or buying one off of the shelf?
8. All I want is a good quality laptop which can play music, play and record DVDS, handle document related functions and store enough software to make me safe on line. I'd like enough RAM to make running any program relatively easy. Here are some things I have found. Dell makes a laptop with dual processors, 4 gigabytes of RAM and 250 gigabytes of drive storage. It has a DVDRW and a battery which lasts about 4 hours. It's called a Vostro and is on sale for around $479 straight out of the box. That sounds wonderful but am I missing something?

I sure could use some help with this. David gave me a link for Tiger Direct and I went there to look but now, I'm even more confused. I realize that there are different strokes for different folks but it seems to me that someone who doesn't know much could really be misled by unscrupulous sales people. I don't really trust the big box stores. I am putting this on our list since I'll bet that there are some people here who use laptops regularly. I have a feeling that some of us would like to know more about laptops.

9.  Is it true that laptop keyboards don't last very long?
10.  Is it true that the average life of a laptop is about 2 years?

John and Linda Justice
With guide dogs Jake and Zachary

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."

PERSONAL E-MAIL:  john_just...@verizon.net
Visit the Blind Computing home page at:
blind-computing-le...@jaws-users.com
blind-computing-requ...@jaws-users.com