I am not a teacher, so these directions are far from perfect, but I hope they
are adequate.

To change settings in Jaws 10 and at least a few earlier versions that I know
of, so that links and headers are not announced while viewing a web page:

Open configuration manager
Control o to open Internet explorer configuration file (press I a few times)
set option in menus (alt s)
Select speech and sounds manager
choose "web rent a crowd"
" Jaws will bring the Web alive by reading headings, links and graphics using
different
voices."
Hit okay to bring you back to configuration manager
Save settings when exiting, before leaving configuration manager.

Jaws will no longer announce any links or headings.

I hope this helps.

        Scott