It was certainly fiction in my case. I tried it and noticed that as it heated back up to room temp that there was a lot of condensation on the outside and on the inside I presume. It did not work. I never did get around to sending back the defective hard drive since the packing instructions from the company were too complicated.
Now, my goal is to be sure that everything is stored in at least two places.
I really like the replacement external drive I bought a lot better since it is much smaller in size and does not need to be plugged in to an electric outlet, just into the laptop.
Sherrie Gosling

From: "Dan Mccurley" <bearea...@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:56 AM
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Subject: [Blind-Computing] fact or fiction;

Is it true that putting an external drive in the freezer that is thought to have died will allow some or all of its content to be gotten off of it? I think my external has died, or crashed, or something; when I turn it on it tries to spin up to its normal spinning velocity but on the way up, it makes a click sound and begins at the beginning again, never reaching its end speed. Is it dead or can someone retrieve the data on it. Help with this will be appreciated.

Dan