Yes, iTunes is pretty usable with windows.
As far as holding your books, this depends on the type and size of the iPod.
The accessible iPods are the shuffle, nano, and touch.

You can have a range of 4GB which prob wouldn't hold all those books
at once, all the way to 64GB iPod touch which would hold the books,
plus much much more. lol