Are you certain that you are talking about the computer name and not the user name? I do not believe the computer name will show up anywhere in the menus. Type "Network" into the Start menu search box to get a list of computers and devices on your network.

To change your network name or workgroup name, press the Windows key + the Break key (the last key on the right end of the function keys), to bring up the System Control Panel. Hit Tab until you get to a button labeled "Change", and press Space. Press Tab to the "Change Name" or something similar button. In this dialog and press Space. It will now allow you to change the computer name and workgroup name. As you press the Ok button, it will ask you to restart.

Don Marang

From: "blindguy" <blindgu...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:38 PM
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Subject: [Blind-Computing] changing computer name

Hi,

I have a question.

               I recently purchased a new laptop with windows seven
professional and I made a mistake which I don't know how to undo/change.

There was an area where I typed the name of the computer which I typed my
name but made a typo. Is there a way I can fix this?

My name shows correctly on the start menu, and the welcome screen but not in
the user folder in the local drive.