From: "Bill Gallik" <billgal...@centurytel.net>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] USB adaptor

That's an interesting question.  I'm presuming that what you're talking
about is a cable with a "mail USB connector" on one end to plug into the PC
and a block with 4 "female connectors" for receiving various USB devices?
And do you have multiple USB ports on your PC?  Here's what I'm supposing:
you have two or three of these adapters and maybe 4 USB ports on your PC,
you're wondering if you can plug all three of the USB adapters into three of
the USB ports on the PC and maybe another device on the 4th PC port for a
total of 13 total devices (3 adapters × 4 female receivers plus the 1 raw
port)?  Why don't you try it and let the rest of us know how it turned out?

Seriously, I don't see any reason this would not work!  But what in the
world would you need with all those USB devices?  One thing for sure, you
can swap USB adapters and devices in/out as you need them.  Just be careful
to close out any device before you physically remove it from the PC
configuration.  In Vista there is a "Safely Remove" option in the FILE menu,
I have no idea if this is available in earlier versions of Windows but be
sure to use something akin to this procedure just to make sure your PC is
not performing I/O on the device being removed.
--
Merry Christmas
Holland, Chillie & Bill
>From Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," Nephew Fred admonishes Scrooge
for his lack of Christmas spirit:
"`There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I
have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. `Christmas among the
rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has
come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin,
if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time; a
kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the
long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open
their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they
really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of
creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never
put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me
good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!'"