The manner in which I use the Safely remove operation is through the context menu of the device rather than use the item in the System Tray. Primarily, I do this because I find it faster since I do not need to go through multiple dialogs selecting and confirming the operation. When I am done copying files to or from the USB device in Windows Explorer, I hit the Backspace key until I get back to the Computer level and the device is selected. Then I hit the Applications key to bring up the context menu and press 'S' to activate the Safely remove item. In Windows 7 the Safely remove item no longer shows up, but the Eject, which can be activated by 'J', can be used and the Safely remove option will be performed. Without any other dialogs the system will announce that the device can now be safely removed.

Don Marang

From: "jason smith" <thisi...@picknowl.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:49 AM
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Subject: [Blind-Computing] question about the safely remove hardware option

Hi list,
I am about to start using a USB flashdrive to copy some files from my desktop. So that I can use these files on my notebook. Rather than using floppy disks(yes I have still been using floppy disks smile). I know that when using things like flash drives and external drives etc. That you should use the safely remove hardware option before unplugging such devices. I wanted the safely remove hardware option to always appear in my system tray. So I went in and unchecked the "always hide unused icons" checkbox. The safely remove hardware option, is now always appearing in my system tray like I wanted. However, if I enter on this option. It lists "USB mass storage device". However, I don't have any such device connected. I have not yet started using either the flashdrive or my external harddrive. So what would it be referring to? And is unchecking this hide unused icons option a good idea? Or will I be giving myself problems in the future?
Thanks Jason