Are their any audio tutorials about gettings started with VINUX?
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Donald
Marang
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 8:22 AM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Screen reader with Linux

I guess the fate of Orca, just like so many other Sun technologies and
products, such as Open Office and Java, are in limbo!  All will be
supported
by the open source community.  However, possibly being without the
corporate
backing things will be different.

Orca still lives on and there are several screen reader possibilities in

Linux.  I think Vinux 2.0 had 4 different screen readers configured.
Orca
using SpeechDispatcher drivers is the default.  I do not know if driver
is
the proper term for SpeechDispatcher.  It seems to be a favorite speech
infrastructure that many of the screen readers can use.  It is not the
only
way to set it up.  Linux is even worse than Windows when it comes to the

realm of possibilities and fractured communities.

Vinux developers are busy on Vinux 3.0.  It looks very promissing.  It
will
be based on Ubuntu Lucid 10.4, which will be released in April.  They
have a
lot of work being done on accessibility of the Ubuntu release in April
and
the customizations for Vinux.  Vinux 3.0 is expected to be released
shortly
after unless a major accessibility issue is discovered.  Vinux 1.x was
also
based on Ubuntu, but it was decided that the basic Ubuntu had too many
stability issues with speech.  Vinux 2 was therefore moved to a stable
Debian release for better stability of accessibility components and
application support.  Unfortunately, this slightly sacrifices bleeding
new
technologies and better hardware support.  Usually this becomes apparent

with wireless network and the latest hardware.  This time major
accessibility issues have been resolved even before Ubuntu is released.

Vinux is located at:
http://vinux.org.uk

Don Marang