Here's an old help message I saved from a friend, does this answer your
question?
Here's what you can do.  There is an XP home utility called "msconfig"that
will let you see a listing of all the items that your computer loads in at
start up.  Care needs to be exercised that you not uncheck anything you
don't know what it is.  Items that have names you recognize like AOL instant
messenger for example could be unchecked.  This means that your computer
will no longer load that item at start up.  The default is to load all
system drivers and programs.  Another radio button is selective start up.
This lets you select what gets loaded in.  If your careful and don't do
anything really stupid, you can free up some resources.  What you can do is
to start mscongig and have a look around.  If it looks like to much for you,
just exit the program.

What to do.

1 open the windows start menu.

2 type (R) for run and press enter.

3 Type in the dialog box, "msconfig" with out the quotes and press enter.
That will start the Microsoft config utility.  You will need to tab around
and look at the choices.  At one point you can use the right arrow key to
get over to start up.  Leave all the other crap alone until you get to the
start up selection and tab to selective start up.  You can then use the up
and down arrow keys to see what's being started up for you.  If you decide
to give it a shot, write down everything you checked or unchecked so that
you can put it back to the way it was.  Write the item down along with it's
status at the time before you changed it.  For example: AOL sucks checked!

                                   Regards,

                                   Alan

Please click on:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/.

There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.