To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:45 PM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Scanning and Reading in Greek with XP

 As I said in the subject, this is a Windows question, since I don't
have a Greek synth for DOS and doubt this would even be possible.

 I have some books with Greek and English on the same page.  When I
try to scan the pages with Cicero, I can only scan one language at a
time.  So if I'm on English, the Greek words won't come out properly
and vise versa.  I don't have the latest version of Cicero so this
problem may have already been addressed.  If not, then does anyone
know of a package for XP that can do this?  I've heard of SCAN2TEXT,
but am not sure if it can handle two languages at once.  I'd
especially be interested in a program that could scan things in the
polytonic system, as I'm intending on learning Katharevousa at some
point and still need the system to read older texts in Dimotiki.

 On a related note, I'd be eternally grateful if someone could tell
me of a synthesizer that can properly read polytonic Greek.  ESpeak in
NVDA has a wonderful modern Greek version that I use every day for
self-taught lessons and general reading, even in English.  But it
doesn't seem to be able to read the older accents.  Whenever I come
across a text with them, it mispronounces the words and acts as if
there's nothing there whenever I review the letters with the accents
on them.  But it works fine with the regular tonos...  It has an
Ancient Greek setting as well, but I need modern, and in any case, the
ancient one won't let me review the letters in a word at all without
acting strangely.  Can the Apollo, assuming that I could even find
one, be used for this purpose?  I don't think Hal chas that ability
but have to try it and see.

Thanks,
Eleni