I always knew that Windows 3.1 and DOS ran separately. You could pop
out of one and go into the other. Of course, this isn't true with XP,
since it doesn't have actual DOS inside it, just an emulator. But I
thought the same was true for 95 and 98 as well or at least that there
was no way of entering DOS apart from the command prompt found in
Windows. I was happily wrong on both counts! Apparently, it contains
MS-DOS 7, which is unsupported officially (they say the last supported
stand-alone version is 6.22) but which I know as a fact can run on
it's own. I can even enter it without needing to use Windows and can
have the computer boot directly to full DOS! I found all the details
here.

http://www.ctyme.com/msdos7.htm

It so happens that I have a working laptop with Windows 98 on it and
even a full version of JFW 3.7! If I'm correct, this means that I can
use the Windows command line to install a DOS screenreader so that
when I boot without Windows, I can start up the reader and be on my
way. Of course, I don't intend on staying with MS-DOS forever, but
this will give me a nice experiment until I can either collect the
drivers needed for this laptop, find a better one or get a desktop,
put Enhanced DR-DOS onto some floppies and have someone install it for
me. At the very least, I can finally! start my QuickBASIC tutorials
because I have all the necessary keys (my KeyNote Gold was built with
a few missing) and play around with all sorts of software. I can even
switch from one opperating system to the other and try out some
Windows applications if I wanted.

But I do have a question.  The laptop has a bios and some other
drivers that specifically work with DOS. I checked them out on the
manufacturer's website.  I've been under the impression that a machine
must have at least certain core drivers in order for DOS to be
properly installed on it with no other opperating system. But is this
actually true? What would happen if I loaded it onto a machine that
was originally designed for XP? More importantly, could I load it onto
a Windows 3.1, 95 or 98 machine if there aren't any specific DOS
drivers available, since those versions of Windows had real DOS in
them or does all of that depend on the fact that Windows and it's
drivers are loaded? Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks,
Eleni