Well, Norma, u don't tell us what type of netbook it is, how big is
the display, its resolution, etc.

I do a couple things in this situation. Generallly speaking, there is
1 or a couple utilities located in the system tray to accomplish them.
1) I disable the camera & enable it only when I want it.
2) When I can't connect to the internet, I disable the wireless.

Usually the netbook senses when you're on battery & dims the display.
Unfortunately, it won't let u disable it or u could get superb battery
life. I personally bought a bigger battery for mine which gives me
about 10 hours battery life.

BTW, just FYI, (& this has nothing to do w/battery life), I was having
some severe issues w/my netbook until I went in & disabled the
gestures on my touchpad (control panel > mouse & pointing devices >
hardware > settings). My issues are gone. Some of them included:
difficulty using jaws find;
Email disappearing while in the middle of writing it;
Applications losing focus, etc.

Try it--u might like it. I'd disable the bleapin thing entirely but my
sighted family members sometimes get on here so I can't kill it
completely, dad gum it!

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride