To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:03 AM
Subject: [Blind-Computing] THE FUN OF BEING BLIND AND USING A COMPUTER SCREEN

I thought some of you might enjoy this experience.

Every year, my wife Linda and I put on a presentation at a local school.
The event is called "Acceptance Day"  and it is scheduled on the Friday
before martin Luther King's birthday.  The school makes an effort to show
their sixth, seventh and eighth grade students how people with physical
impairments and other physiological or cultural differences, get along from
day to day.  here's where it becomes a computer related story.  I usually
bring my laptop computer and set it up in such a way that the screen is
facing the audience, while I am using a USB keyboard behind it.  it's a
silent but effective demonstration indicating that we don't need to use the
screen to work with a computer.  I usually write a brief document and then
allow jaws to read it through some portable speakers.

I set up the computer and turned it on. The girl who was our escort for the day was very hesitant but she did tell me that the screen display was upside
down.  I fixed it by going to the Control Panel and then to Display.  Sure
enough, there were settings for what Microsoft calls the "flip" position. I
have no idea why anyone might want to do that but there it was.  How long
that screen had been upside down, i have no idea.  After all, as a blind
person, I never pay attention to what the screen is showing.

JOHN AND LINDA JUSTICE
WITH GUIDE DOGS JAKE AND ZACHARY
PERSONAL E-MAIL:  john_just...@verizon.net