Mike,
Thank you for this information it seems like it contains a lot of valuable information and will be great for getting started with it. I notice that it speaks of PodCast and that sort of thing. Do you know if it can make ring tones? If not it will still be a valuable program for school notes and that sort of thing. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike & Barbara In Arcadia" <mb69ma...@charter.net>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] MP3 DIRECT CUT

Hi Josh,

Below is a somewhat long winded email I saved talking about the MP3 Direct
Cut program.  There are also links to a couple of tutorials as well.

From: "Gene" <
gsas...@ripco.com>
This is a rather long message but it provides important information.

Is the podcast mainly going to be you talking or are you going to do
things such as move between items such as music and speech.  I'm going to
assume, for this message, that you intend to do only or mostly just you
talking.  that isn't because I am actually assuming this is true, it's
because I want to make the message simple and answer questions for that
kind of podcast in this message.  If it doesn't apply to what you intend
to do, send details to the list and you may get good information to match
the specific kind of podcast you are doing.  for more complex podcasts,
such as having music and speech and moving between them or having
something like speech and music simultaneously, others on the list may be
better sources of information.

Let's start with the most simple kind of podcast, nothing but you talking.
One of the problems you will find if you listen to many podcasts is that
people don't edit well, if at all.  They create a podcast, repeatedly
pause during it often for far too long, have lots of extraneous sounds
such as the repeated sound of their e-mail program checking for new mail,
etc.  that's no way to produce a high quality podcast.  Since podcasts are
mp3 files, instead of using audacity, you would probably do just as well
or better using Mp3 Direct Cut.  It is easier to edit with Mp3 Direct Cut
and the program records directly in the Mp3 format, thus allowing you to
save the time and inconvenience of first recording a file and then
converting the finished product to Mp3.

One way to produce a reasonably well edited podcast is to record it
without doing any editing, just stopping recording if you want to pause to
collect your thoughts or cough or encounter an interruption, then start
recording again.  When you start recording or continue recording, use a
count down every time.  When you start or continue recording count down
such as three, two, one, then start talking.  Later, you will edit out the
time between where you stopped recording and the end of the count down.
If you do this correctly, you will have a smoothly edited podcast.  You
can experiment and see how this is done.

Using the microphone in your computer may or may not be a good choice.
You might get much better results using a hand held microphone or a
microphone on a stand that you will place close to your mouth.  If you can
conveniently be close to the microphone in the computer and if the
microphone is reasonably good, that may work well but you can get good
microphones for about fifteen or twenty dollars.  One that I like is a
radio shack clip on microphone.  It is very small.  I don't clip it onto
my shirt collar, though that is how it is intended to be used.  I hold the
microphone close to my mouth.  It provides better sound quality for speech
than many other microphones in that general price range and I find it very
satisfactory for voice recordings that are well within the quality that is
suitable for a nonprofessional recording where you want reasonable quality
but don't have to worry about really high professional quality sound.
Radio Shack has a good return policy so if the microphone isn't what you
want, you can return it after trying it.

I will definitely say that the version of audacity you are using will not
meet your needs if you intend to do editing of the podcast.  Try using Mp3
Direct Cut.  It is easier to edit with than any version of audacity.  the
following information will allow you to download a version of Mp3 Direct
cut and a tutorial on using the program. It is all included in one zip
file.  I prepared this file and sent it to a file sharing site from which
it is still available.  I don't know how long it will remain available
since it may be removed automatically at some point by the site but here
is the link to the download page:
Look for the download button at the bottom of the page and activate it
with the space bar.  The standard download dialog should open.
the link to the page is:
http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=1086246efa5d881c3aa77c0b095d5071

You will also need to understand the Windows volume control.  Here is a
link to a tutorial you can listen to that thoroughly explains it.  The
information applies to the Windows XP version of the volume control and it
also applies to earlier versions of Windows as well.  those using Vista or
Windows 7 will need to get either other or more information because at
least some of the information no longer applies.
The listen link is:

http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm0305.mp3

Gene

----- Original Message ----- From: Josh