Hi Sue,

First the obvious, if the drive requires power, is the drive plugged into
the wall?

Have you tried plugging a different drive into the same USB port to see if
other drives will work?

Have you tried plugging this particular drive into a different USB port or,
a different computer to see what happens?

If this drive is AC powered, have you tried a different wall socket?

If possible, has a different USB cable been tried?

I ran into a problem a few months ago where the AC power cord , on the end
that plugs into the external drive, had a slight bend, & the power cable was
no good, it wouldn't make sufficient contact with the drive.

I'm just trying to cover the basics so we know what to eliminate.  Please
let the list know the answers to the above questions so, everyone knows what
has already been checked.  Thanks much.  Take care.