Risking sounding over simplistic but just to be clear. In order to find the properties of something , you have to be on the file itself as in My Documents or My Computer in Windows Explorer , or have the file open. You can find the properties of anything but you have to be on or in something. Where is it you are trying to find the properties. 99 percent of computer users don't fiddle in there for just general usage, so maybe there's another way to do what ever it is you are trying to accomplish?

Can you tell me what screen you are in when you try to access the properties? Some sort of activity like the sample below would be helpful.

1. I open My Documents
2. I highlight an xls  file by arrowing to it
3. I press the Apps key and arrow to properties
4. And the option is grayed out.

Or

In My Documents where I keep my XLS files, I've tried opening 8 different file properties and all of those file extensions have grayed out or unavailable properties. I noticed this problem a month ago after my grand kid was messing around in my file association options and I told him to get away from my computer *smile*.

Some sort of additional info of where you are at in the computer is needed to help you out.

If you just open up Excel without any spreadsheet and go under the File menu to Properties it will be grayed out yes.

Brad

On 7/6/2011  07:13 AM Cliff Smales said...
My "Properties", and all saved files, under Excel, are marked as "unavailability".

I'm using Microsoft Office 2003, similar to 2000, and windows SP.

How do I make all these files, and the "Properties" function available?

Cliff Smales

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6268 (20110705) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Dunse

The frst thgn they teach you n wrting s to keep focus off yourself by removing all the 's.
 Don't know does  t work for you? --Anonymous

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse