while still on skype 3.8 for my installed version of skype, I wanted to try out the portable version of skype 5.5 with its facebook integration.

I found that when trying to shut down skype 5.5 from the system tray, it locked up speech (jaws) and some parts of windows apparently necessitating a reboot to get back to normal.

I then created a batch file to shut down skype with the /shutdown parameter. This worked in that it brought up the console briefly and I heard the sound for a program being shut down but when I looked, I still saw an icon for skype in the system tray with its state showing as not logged in. When I tried to close this out, I had the lockup syndrome again with speech shutting down on me. I finally killed the skype process in task manager with sighted assistence and this brought jaws back.

Can anyone confirm this difficulty shutting down skype 5.5 - and potentially earlier 5.x versions as I had not tried skype 5.x in a long while - or is this something particular to my machine?

I am using win xp sp3.

Thanks much

Doris