From: "Mike & Barbara" <mb69ma...@charter.net>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] sound recorder

HI Kevin,

I don't know where I got the information below but, perhaps this will help.

SOUND RECORDER
This application will allow you to record for about 2 minutes.
However, a much larger sound file can be loaded, played, and
edited.
Up to about 76mb on a machine with 128mb of installed ram.
The size limitation for Sound Recorder seems to be affected by the amount of
memorey.
On a machine with 496mb of ram, I was able to load a 207mb file.
This is a very limited sound editor.
To make a recording of "JAWS" reading text, the, "what you
hear", setting must be selected, when using a SoundBlaster soundcard.

Where to find:"what you hear"
Go to volume control, then from the menu bar select properties.
Note: when trying to make a sound file, using "JAWS" to read a
text file in "Notepad", after returning to "Notepad" from "Sound
Recorder", the screen must be refreshed, in order for "JAWS" to
read the text properly.
Extending the Record time.
But first, we have to set sound recorder up to make the .WAV files we need
for audio CDs. So Click the properties button.

So here we are in properties. I've put arrows to show you that your sound
recorder comes set up at PCM 22050kHz, 8bit, mono. This is because it's
really
set up for a microphone. What we're going to do is click the 'Convert Now'
button to the right of the 'all formats' drop down menu. Oh and it's
important
to do this now BEFORE you record, because you want to capture the sound in
the same quality that you'll use for your CDs.

So when we click Convert now, we get this popup box which lets us adjust the
sound. Interesting isn't it that this little sound recorder can do so much.
Look at all the options you have.

Anyway, at the bottom, we're going to select 44,100kHz, 16 Bit Stereo.
That's the right setting for audio CDs. It's already set for PCM which is
Pulse Code
Modulation, which is what we want to make .WAV files. Finally, we want to
click the Save As button because we want to save this setting.

Sound Recorder won't remember what you've set, so you'll have to come here
to reset it whenever you turn on your computer. But don't worry, you won't
even
have to do that when we're finished.

So this is the dialog box for giving our settings a name. I chose LPcopy,
but you can call it anything you want.

OK, now comes the super secret of how to use Sound Recorder to copy your
LPs. If you've ever used Sound Recorder you know that it only records for up
one minute. Well, that sure won't copy a 2-1/2 minute to 3 minute track.

Ah, but I've got a workaround for you that YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO DO ONCE.
OK, here's the big secret. We're going to make a copy LP template. And
here's
how to do it.

Start Sound Recorder with nothing turned on. No sound. It will start to
record and the little green line will stay flat. Around 40 or 50 seconds,
click
the stop button (the square one). This is where it gets good.

Then click the Record button again and guess what. You've just increased the
time from 50-60 seconds up to about 100 seconds. When it gets near the end
again, (about 100 seconds but it really doesn't matter) Click Stop again and
then click Record.

Let's look below.

You see here I've stopped the recording at 92.90 seconds (no particular
reason) and I'm ready to click record again to add another 50 or 60 seconds
onto
my LP recording template.

Look Below again.

So here we are at 240.20 seconds (4 minutes). This is more than enough to
copy most songs (tracks) and this will be your first template.

Oh, why did I stop the recorder at 50 or so seconds instead of just letting
it stop itself at 60 seconds? Well there is a reason. Some computers reset
themselves
at the 60 second mark. Most don't. So, try it yourself. If you computer lets
you just keep hitting record after each 60 seconds, do it that way. It's
less
work. And don't forget, you only have to do this once. Because we're making
a template.

Later, you can use this same method to make a longer template to record
multiple tracks. There doesn't seem to be a limitation as to how long you
set your
track template except that depending on your computer speed, you might not
be able to get up to 20 or 30 minutes. I could on my 1Ghz computers with no
problem, but on a 300Mhz computer I started bogging down after 12-15
minutes. So for single tracks, this works for everyone. For longer
recordings, it's
limited only by your computer.

Oh, One More Extra Tip. Don't forget that you can use these types of
templates you create to use Windows Sound Recorder for other purposes.
Record a presentation.
Send a message.
Narrate a slide show.
Record Narration for a movie.
Lots More ideas.

It's all easy once you know how to create these easy templates.

So, here we are saving our template. Remember, you can call it anything you
want. Just pick something that makes sense to you and that you save
somewhere
you can easily find it.

Now comes the fun part. You're ready to record. Here's what you do. Just
open Windows Recorder and then select and open your Template file that you
just
made.

Viola, you've got 240.20 seconds to record onto. And guess what? You've also
got the settings already set to .WAV 44,100. Remember I told you you
wouldn't
have to do it again. So in short you're ready to go.

The rest is easy. Just make sure that your slider is all the way to the left
at 0, and start your turntable or cassette deck and hit record. Make sure
you
don't start the actual sound on the record before you hit record or you
won't have a nice intro. So, you can even start Sound Recorder first and
we'll
edit it in a few minutes. It's really easy.

OK, now I assume you've recorded a track or two, or even a whole side.
Anyway, wasn't it just as easy as I said? Now let's edit our track(s).

Oh, this is going to be fun. Here' how you get rid of the blank space at the
beginning and end of the tracks that you don't want.

AND LOOK AT THIS. EVEN IF YOU'RE USING MUSICMATCH OR SOME OTHER EDITOR, YOU
CAN USE SOUND RECORDER TO GET RID OF TALKING AT LIVE PERFORMANCES at the
beginning
and end of your tracks HERE TOO.

Here's how you do it.(First, either record your track into sound recorder,
or open a track or tracks you've recorded elsewhere in Sound Recorder).

Then, Click the play button and then grab the handle of the slider while
it's moving. Play with it a bit and you find that you can adjust the
position pretty
easily till you get it right at the start or end of your music. (You'll get
used to ANTICIPATING the sound breaks just before you want to stop pretty
easily.)
When you're there, click the stop button. This is really easy to do after
you play with it a few times to get the hang of it.

You may have to fuss with the slider a bit till you get used to it. But,
you'll find pretty quickly that if you look for the long black space at the
beginning
or end of your track that it's not hard to find. And the only time it's at
all hard is when you're removing someone's dialog that comes right up to the
music.

You'll be able to do it. It just takes some practice to get used to it. But,
it's really worth the effort to get rid of the talking so you don't have to
listen to it every time you want to hear the track. You see, the CD is
really much better than the record.

Anyway, once you've got the music stopped right where you want it, scroll
down to the next picture.

And, here it is right in the edit menu. You can click EITHER Delete Before
Current Position if you're at the beginning of your track or Delete After
Current
Position if you're at the end of what you want to keep.

And that's it. You've now recorded AND edited your track with perfect
fidelity using the Simple Windows Sound Recorder. And I want to assure you
that whether
you choose to use our suggested Musicmatch recording software, a $500
recording program, or Windows Sound Recorder, the quality of your copied LPs
will
be 100% identical. The same. No difference. It's just that simple.

Oh and one VERY IMPORTANT thing. DO NOT SAVE the file you just made of your
LP. Use SAVE AS and give it the name you want to use from now on. If you
save
it over your template file, you'll have to make a new template, which while
it's no big deal is a bit of a pain. I always make a second copy of my
template
and keep it in a folder in case I mess up and hit save instead of save as.

Oh and speaking of messing up, remember you can't really hurt anything when
you're copying your LPs or editing them. Feel free to edit them several
times
if you want to get just the right breaks. As long as you use SAVE AS, you'll
never have to re-record your LP copies. This is really easy and fun to do.

Now that you're done, it's time for you to pass your newly copied files
through the Click, Pop and Hiss filter so that you sound will be totally
awesome
before you burn your CDs.

Enjoy your new digital sound.

A few last things that I want to mention.

Oh, one more thing. If you have a Sound Blaster Sound Card, you may have a
really powerful .WAV editor that works just like Sound Recorder but is much
bigger
and allows for some really impressive editing.

menu (like I have above) and
see if you have a folder marked Creative. If you do, then look for 'Wave
Studio'. Open that and follow my instructions for Sound Recorder. You'll get
exactly
the same quality recording, but editing is more sophisticated and you can
even remove a few words in the middle of a song, fade intros and exits and
more.

But, remember Sound Recorder will give you the exact same quality sound. So
either way, just consider this an extra tip.

Hope this helps.  Take care.