When you select a cell or cells and press Control + 1, a multipage
dialog appears for how to format that selection.  Numbers formatting is
the first page.  It will open to the last page used previously from this
dialog.  You can Shift + Tab to the page control (in your case, "Font")
and use the left or right arrow keys to get back to the Numbers page.
Alternately, using the Control + Tab and Control + Shift + Tab will also
move from one page to another.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>