Using Jaws 11 and Vista computer.

I am trying to help my 83 year old father on his Vista computer and somehow it
is set so that the narrator program comes on every time he launches a new
program.  I went to the Ease of Access list and narrator is not checked.  The
magnifier comes on but it is up in the corner he said.
So my first request is how to turn off the narrator so it does not come back
on? We go to the exit in the narrator window when it is talking and this shuts
it down for a while and then it pops back on.  My dad needs the computer to be
as simple as possible and I have to help out frequently.
Sherrie Gosling